Why is a leather wallet better than plastic or fabric?
Leather wallets are popular because of their appearance, durability and style. There are a wide variety available to suit your needs. Below we will look at why a leather wallet is better than plastic or fabric.
From a sustainability point of view a leather wallet is the best choice. Vegetable tanned leather is created using a gentle process that protects the natural fibres of the hide. It is a sustainable process that produces long lasting leather.
A wallet or card holder created from leather develops a rich patina over time and becomes more beautiful with use. As a wallet is a well handled item will soften with use whilst maintaining strength and style.
Leather is strong but lightweight making it perfect to carry in your pocket or bag. If leather is conditioned and cared for correctly it will last for years. The same is not true of cotton, fabric or even carbon fibre. These materials will wear, look unappealing and then not be fit for use.
Below are 5 reasons why a leather wallet is best
- Style – There are a wide range of animal skins used to make wallets. Each one has a different colour and pattern. You can even get a date or initials imprinted into the leather making a wallet a truly personal gift.
- Utility – From classic bifold to card wallet and coin purse you can easily choose a leather wallet to suit your needs. With each design you will find them simply stylish and functional.
- Texture – The beauty of the leather wallet is the feel. The cool, smooth texture, not to mention the smell will bring you joy every time you open your wallet. As the leather begins to age it will develop character and a rich patina. What’s not to love?
- Longevity – Leather is a material that has been used for centuries. There are leather pieces in museums that date back as far as the 6th Century. As long as leather is allowed to breathe and is well conditioned and cared for it can last to be passed down to the next generation.
- Durability – As leather is strong yet lightweight it can outlast most other materials.
Although a leather wallet may be a little more expensive initially, it is an investment and will last infinitely longer than other materials.
When choosing a leather wallet remember the quote by Vivienne Westward “Buy once, buy well, make it last”